Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Life as a Fashion Merchandise Major

I have been a student at Ball State University for four years now, and I am quickly approaching graduation in May.  When I first enrolled as a freshmen, I decided that I wanted my major to be business administration; I was told that's where the money is.  After a year of business and math classes I found out that was not what I wanted to be studying for three more years; it just didn't fit me as a person.  I ended up switching my major to fashion merchandise my sophomore year, and have been a student in the fashion program ever since. I find this area of study to be very intriguing and stimulating to the mind, which most people think the opposite about "fashion."  As a student in the fashion program at Ball State, I have had opportunities to take courses that will prepare me for future endeavors in the fashion industry.  I can definitely say that a highlight of my career as a fashion student would have to be the promotions fashion show that my class put on this semester.  By having the chance to actually put on a fashion show, I learned so much about what it takes to have a successful production.  I also learned that communication is the main key to having a successful event, because working with people of all different walks of life can be stressful and that's where communication comes in. I have taken several courses within this major, but there was one in particular that sparked my interest, and that was an introduction to sewing. I had never sewn before so this was all very new to me.  As a requirement for this class I had to construct my own garment from scratch.  The finished product turned out to be a success for me; I never thought that sewing would interest me.  I have to say that the fashion program at this institution (Ball State) is one of superb quality and should be ranked nationally.

No comments:

Post a Comment